This Creole-style banana rice salad was originally created by Fiona Kirk, Nutritionist.
“Sweet, sour, spicy, colourful and great on its own or alongside roast chicken, fish or a light curry. It also works very well with kiwi, apricots, black grapes and pistachios or cashew nuts in place of the banana, pineapple, green grapes and walnuts/almonds”
Makes: 4 generous or 6 smaller servings
- 220g long grain rice
- 4 large bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium red eating apple, cored and chopped
- 100g seedless grapes
- 80g canned or fresh pineapple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (or almonds) toasted
- 1 tablespoon sultanas
- Large lettuce leaves
- 6 tablespoons top quality or homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Large pinch hot chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon dry english mustard
Cook the rice in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well and allow to cool. Put the rice in a mixing bowl and gently stir in the bananas, lemon juice, apple, grapes, pineapple, walnuts or almonds and sultanas.
Mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chilli powder and mustard and stir into the banana and rice mixture.
Arrange the lettuce leaves in a large serving dish, pile the rice mixture on top and sprinkle over more chopped walnuts or almonds.