This bread makes a quick, delicious and nutritious in a rush breakfast or snack and is particularly tasty and filling when toasted alongside a cup of coffee.
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and roughly grated
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and roughly grated
- 1 medium courgette/zucchini, wiped and roughly grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 40g fresh cashew nuts/pecan nuts/peanuts, roughly chopped
- 550g wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all-spice powder
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 80g brown sugar
- The seeds/paste from 1 vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a standard loaf tin with baking paper (or use a non-stick silicon mould if you have one). Prepare the apple, carrot and courgette, put in a bowl, add the lemon juice, mix well and cover the bowl with cling film so the apple doesn’t brown.
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, all-spice and nutmeg.
In another bowl, whisk three quarters of the beaten egg, the sugar and the vanilla extract together before thoroughly combining the mixture with the dry ingredients.
Fold in the grated fruit/vegetable mix and lastly the cashew nuts/pecan nuts/peanuts.
Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and place in the middle of the oven for around 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out cleanly. Check after 35 minutes then every 10 minutes until perfect.
Leave to cool a little before turning it out onto a wire tray to cool thoroughly.